I don’t know about you but I’m excited. The 2nd annual National Trail Running Day is tomorrow! It’s like Christmas for trail runners. NTRD is a day to promote, celebrate, and experience the sport of Trail Running this August 21st, so, like you know, tomorrow. Trail Running is one of the fastest growing sports in the United States with runners taking to the trails of varying difficulties and distances to connect with nature and the environment, while also building strength and more technical running skills. If you’ve never tried trail running before then here are some reasons why you should get out on the trails:
- Strengthens your leg muscles that road running does not.
- Improves balance and agility from running on uneven surfaces.
- Increases your mental toughness.
- Biophillia – humans want to be close to nature. Trail Running increases your time in nature.
- The primal thrill of using your body for what it was made to do, be a long distance, all-terrain vehicle.
- Reduces injury because running on soft surfaces is better for your joints. Also, the differing steps do not put as much stress on specific parts of your body.
- Less traffic and cleaner air.
- Running in the shade is cooler, allowing you to run longer distances and get a better overall work out.
Check out the National Trail Running Day website and find an event or group run close to you and give trail running a try! If no one has organized an event in your area then go explore a new trail near you using our running trail locator tool. There are many ways to celebrate NTRD but the only thing you really need to do is get on the trails. Give your favorite running trail a big hug and tell it how much you love it. National Trail Running Day is all about sharing the love. Share your love with us with what you are doing/did for NTRD, email chris at seriousrunning.com and we’ll share it with the rest of the SeriousRunning.com trail running community!